CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ski Santa Fe...

Alright...where do I even start? We just got back from Santa Fe, New Mexico early this morning! We had a blast! We left to go skiing on December 28th. We loaded up the car and headed off, not knowing what to expect once we got to the slopes! Tatum, Richard, and I had never been skiing, so we decided to join my cousin Michele and her family on their annual ski trip. WHAT A BLAST! We stayed in 2 little condo type houses close to the plaza in Santa Fe. We shared a house with my mom, and the other house was shared by Michele, Andy, Ben and Emma, and Sally, Morgan, and Wes. The houses were really cute. Just 2 bed/2 bath, but perfect for the amount of time that we stayed in the house.


Here is Tatum getting ready for skiing the first morning! How cute was she? We signed her up to take lessons at Chipmunk Corner. It consisted of 2 hours of lessons, snow play, snack, and lunch. They put them out on a little hill with ski's and teach them how to do it. I missed seeing her out on the snow that first day we were there, because we were in our Snowboard lessons. So the next day, my mom came up the mountain with us and hung around in the cold to get video of Tatum skiing. What a great Nana, FREEZE to death, waiting for Tatum to take 1 trip down the hill, then get too cold, and start crying so they take her back inside! Richard and I got to see her do it on video! At least she tried!! That is all that I asked her to do after the first day of her telling me that she didn't like it, I asked her to at least go out there one time the next day and try it again. She did, and I still think that she didn't really like it! It was brutally cold there this year, normally it is in the 50's even up on the mountain. It never got about 30 degrees while we were there this year!

Richard and I tried snowboarding with everyone the first day we were there. None of us really picked it up at all! It was really tough! We fell A LOT, and were really sore the next day! So, the second day we decided to take a 1\2 day ski lesson and try our luck with skiing! This was much easier! We still had not perfected it after our 2 hour lesson, but we had the basics down, and decided to try our best! We went on the lift for the first time up and headed to a restaurant called Totumoff's. They grill burgers and such out on the patio, half way up this mountain! The only way to get there is to take the lift up, the only way to get down is to ski down the bunny slope! So, we did it! It was good food, good hot chocolate, and FREEZING!!!!

So, our first run down the bunny slopes was good! So good, I guess, we got really brave and let Michele and Andy talk us into going up the Quad Lift and head to almost the top of the mountain to attempt a green run, that was really long! I didn't think that I was afraid of heights, but I think that I am now!!! I was sitting on this lift, not really able to hold on to anything, going a mile or more up a mountain! Seeing nothing below me but lots of trees and snow. Watching the skiers and boarders below us going down some pretty difficult hills. I completely worked myself up to a frenzy, and when nearing the end of the lift, the lift worker asked us how we were doing, I told him I was totally FREAKING OUT!!!! Now to get off the lift, this would have been only my second time to get off...ski's up, here we go, slide off...WIPE OUT!!! OUCH!!! I took a hard fall getting off the lift! How embarrassing!!! I was really shaken! Nervous too! So, then to start the lift, I was already in bad shape! Skiing is really tough on your legs, and for a girl who is not in the best of shape, I probably should not have started my first ski trip on one of the highest runs! The lift ride made me nervous, the fall made me shake, and I was a complete nervous wreck! We start down the mountain, my legs burning and shaking. I have to rest! Richard and Andy go on, Michele stays back with me! I get up to go again, and fall a little ways down. I am freaking out! My legs hurt of bad, I had to walk down half the mountain! I sent Michele down, let her have some fun, not stuck with a wimp on the green run!!! So, I walked a little, then put my ski's back on for a bit, then would have to walk some more! Richard and Andy were at the bottom waiting for me when I finally got down 30 minutes later! They were completely prepared to make fun of me for walking down the entire mountain, but I redeemed myself by skiing down the last long hill. So, even after all of that, we will return next year, and I will have my legs in better shape so that I can stay with everybody and get down the mountain on ski's not foot!!!

So, our last day in Santa Fe, we did some shopping. We were hindered a bit, with sick children most of the trip. Emma got a stomach bug, and then passed it on to almost everyone on the trip! So, between either staying at the house, or sleeping in the car, we were not always all together the whole time! So, while everyone was feeling better at the moment, The Kids, and that does include Richard and Andy, had a snowball fight in the plaza while the girls shopped! Tatum had a ball! She loved being in the snow!!! Her daddy was teaching her how to make the perfect snowball before we had even left for the trip! So, once we got there, she was ready to go! She was ready to throw a snowball in her daddy's face!!!!

So, we had a great time, and can't wait to go back next year, but maybe not so early in the ski season. Maybe we will try Spring Break to Ski Santa Fe! Not quite so cold that time of year!!



0 comments: